Place:


Ashton on Ribble  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashton on Ribble like this:

ASHTON-ON-RIBBLE, a chapelry in Preston parish, Lancashire; on the river Ribble, adjacent to the Wyre and Preston railway, 2 miles W of Preston. It consists of the townships of Lea, Ashton, Ingol, and Cottam. Post Town, Preston. Acres, 3,522; of which 175 are water. Real property, £9,883. Pop., 911. Houses, 176. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £106. The church was built in 1836. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and a free school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Preston

Ashton on Ribble through time

Ashton on Ribble is now part of Preston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Preston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashton on Ribble itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashton on Ribble, in Preston and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25749

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashton on Ribble ".