Place:


Fence  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fence like this:

FENCE-IN-PENDLE, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the E border of the county, 3 miles N of Burnley r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Fence, under Burnley. It was constituted in 1845. Pop., 1, 331. Houses, 257. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, not reported.* Patron, W. Holden, Esq. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Old Laund Booth

Fence through time

Fence is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fence itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fence, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25727

Date accessed: 24th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fence".