Place:


Farnworth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnworth like this:

FARNWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Prescot parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near the St. Helen's and Runcorn Gap railway, 2¾ miles N by E of Runcorn Gap, and 4¾ SE of Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. ...


The chapelry is partly in Warrington district; and was constituted in 1859. Pop. of the Warrington d. part, 1, 539; of the whole, 6, 447. Houses in the W. d. part, 283; in the whole, 1, 191. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Prescot. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. Another church, at Widnes Dock, was built in 1858, and designed with a view to enlargement. There is a free gammar-school. William Smith, the founder of Brasenose college, Oxford, and bishop of Lincoln, was born in this chapelry, at Peel House.—The sub-district comprises the townships of Widnes, Cronton, Ditton, and Bold. Acres, 10, 861. Pop., 8, 879. Houses, 1, 599.

Additional information about this locality is available for Widnes

Farnworth through time

Farnworth is now part of Halton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Halton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farnworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnworth, in Halton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25726

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farnworth ".