Place:


Gorhambury  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gorhambury like this:

GORHAMBURY, the seat of Earl Verulam, in Herts; 2 miles WNW of St. Albans. The property around it was given, by the abbots of St. Albans, to the Gorhams; passed, in the time of Henry VIII., to the Maynards; and was sold to Sir N. Bacon, the father of Lord Bacon, the great philosopher. The present mansion was built in 1785, by Sir R. Taylor; is in the Corinthian style; retains a few fragments of a previous house, built by Sir N. Bacon; and contains many interesting portraits.

Additional information about this locality is available for St Albans

Gorhambury through time

Gorhambury is now part of St Albans district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Albans has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gorhambury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gorhambury, in St Albans and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25718

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gorhambury ".