Place:


Pitsmoor  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitsmoor like this:

PITSMOOR, a chapelry in Brightside-Bierlow township, Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; suburban to Sheffield, and 1 mile N of the centre of the town. It was constituted in 1845; and its post town is Sheffield. Pop. in 1861, 8, 921. Houses, 1,868. There are manyhandsome private residences; and industries, of the samekind as in Sheffield, are carried on. The living is a p-curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Archbishop. The church is modern; and there are national schools.

Additional information about this locality is available for Sheffield

Pitsmoor through time

Pitsmoor is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitsmoor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitsmoor, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25701

Date accessed: 27th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pitsmoor".