Place:


Oakley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakley like this:

OAKLEY, a tything in Cirencester parish, Gloucester; adjoining Cirencester town. Oakley House is the seat of Earl Bathurst; was built by Henry Earl of Danby, and purchased by Allen, first Earl Bathurst; contains a number of interesting portraits; stands in a very fine park, generally accessible to the public; and is approached by an avenue 150 feet wide and 5 miles long, flanked on the N by a plantation of forest-trees, and on the S by a deer park. ...


The grounds contain a barrowcalled Grismond's tower, an old market cross of Cirencester, a wood-house planned by Pope, a modern edifice called Alfred's hall, and some fine scenery.

Additional information about this locality is available for Cirencester

Oakley through time

Oakley is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oakley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakley, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25699

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oakley ".