Place:


Offham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Offham like this:

OFFHAM-STREET, a hamlet in Hamsey parish, Sussex; on the old Roman road, 2 miles N N W of Lewes. It has a post-office under Lewes. Chalk pits are adjacent to it; and remains are there of the earliest piece of railway formed in the S of England, an inclined plane for conveying the chalk of the pits to the Ouse river.

Additional information about this locality is available for Hamsey

Offham through time

Offham is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Offham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Offham, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25680

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Offham ".