Place:


Gleaston  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gleaston like this:

GLEASTON, a division of Aldingham parish, Lancashire; 2½ miles SE of Dalton. Gleaston Castle here is the ruin of a baronial strength, which appears to have been both large and strong, and which is now reduced to three towers, with connecting walls. The castle belonged to the Flemings, and to the Duke of Suffolk, the father of Lady Jane Grey.

Additional information about this locality is available for Aldingham

Gleaston through time

Gleaston is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gleaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gleaston, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25650

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gleaston ".