Place:


Shugborough  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shugborough like this:

SHUGHBOROUGH, a township in Colwich parish, Staffordshire; 5½ miles ESE of Stafford. Pop., 53. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to the Astons; and passed to the Tixals. S. House is the seat of the Earl of Lichfield; was visited, in 1832, by the Princess Victoria; and stands in grounds, containing a Chinese tower, a memorial pillar to Anson, and remains of an ancient palace of the Bishops of Lichfield.

Additional information about this locality is available for Colwich

Shugborough through time

Shugborough is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shugborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shugborough, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25587

Date accessed: 09th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shugborough ".