Place:


Wicker  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wicker like this:

WICKER, a chapelry in Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; including part of Sheffield town. It was constituted in 1845. Post town, Sheffield. Pop., 10,796. Houses, 2,271. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £150.* Patrons, Misses Harrison. The church was built in 1848, is a fine edifice, and contains about 1,000 sittings. Congregational schools, in the decorated style, were built in 1860.

The location is half way along the street in Sheffield called "Wicker", as marked on modern street maps. Additional information about this locality is available for Sheffield

Wicker through time

Wicker is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wicker itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wicker, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25584

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wicker".