Place:


Porton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Porton like this:

PORTON, a chapelry in Idmiston parish, Wilts; on the Roman road to Salisbury, on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, and on an affluent of the river Avon, 5 miles N E of Salisbury. It has a station on the railway, and its post town is Salisbury. Pop., 176. Houses, 40. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Idmiston.

Additional information about this locality is available for Idmiston

Porton through time

Porton is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Porton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Porton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25570

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Porton".