Place:


Eldon  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eldon like this:

ELDON, a chapelry in Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; around Eldonstreet in Sheffield. It was constituted in 1846. Post town, Sheffield. Pop., 6, 030. Houses, 1, 259. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Archbishop.

The location is the site of St. Jude's church, Eldon Street, Sheffield, as marked on the 1:1,056 Ordnance Survey map of 1853, accessed via http://www.old-maps.co.uk on 22 Oct 2011. Additional information about this locality is available for Sheffield

Eldon through time

Eldon is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eldon, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25552

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eldon".