Place:


Badbury  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Badbury like this:

BADBURY, a tything in Chisledon parish, Wilts; 3½ miles SE of Swindon. Pop., 395. An ancient camp here, called Badbury or Siddington Castle, is supposed to be the Mons Bodonicus of the Romans, and the Bad diebrigg of the Saxons; and was the scene, in 520, of King Arthur's defeat of Cerdic.

Additional information about this locality is available for Chiseldon

Badbury through time

Badbury is now part of Swindon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swindon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Badbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Badbury, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25543

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Badbury".