Place:


Woodhouse  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodhouse like this:

WOODHOUSE, a chapelry in Huddersfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; within Huddersfield borough. It was constituted in 1844; and its Post town is Huddersfield. Pop. in 1861, 3,324. Houses, 674. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church was built in 1824, at a cost of £4,000; and is in the early English style and cruciform, with tower and spire. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

The name "Woodhouse" appears here on our nineteenth century First Series map, and also on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 map of Yorkshire of 1854, accessible on the old-maps.co.uk site. Additional information about this locality is available for Huddersfield

Woodhouse through time

Woodhouse is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodhouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodhouse, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25531

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodhouse".