Place:


Woodhouse  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodhouse like this:

WOODHOUSE, a village in Handsworth parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile W by S of W.-Junction r. station, and 4½ ESE of Sheffield. It has a post-office under Sheffield, three dissenting chapels, a national school, and saw-mills; and it does much business in connexion with neighbouring collieries.

Additional information about this locality is available for Handsworth

Woodhouse through time

Woodhouse is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodhouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodhouse, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25530

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodhouse ".