Place:


Little Langdale  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Langdale like this:

LANGDALE (LITTLE), an upland vale in Langdale chapelry, Grasmere parish, Westmoreland; contiguous to Lancashire. It commences at the E side of Wrynose mountain; is separated into two ravines down to Fellfoot by a projection of Wrynose; extends 3½ miles eastward into junction with Great Langdale at Elter-water; and is traversed by a chief head-stream of the river Brathay. ...


The two ravines have a grand gloomy character; the left one contains Blea Tarn, celebrated in Wordsworth's "Excursion;" and the stretch of vale below the ravines presents an irregular, hillocky surface, and contains a lakelet called Langdale Tarn and a waterfall called Calwith Force.

Additional information about this locality is available for Langdale

Little Langdale through time

Little Langdale is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Langdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Langdale, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25384

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Langdale ".