Place:


Elterwater  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elterwater like this:

ELTER-WATER, a lake and a village on the W border of Westmoreland. The lake lies at the junction of Great Langdale and Little Langdale, and receives the streams from both; has been diminished by artificial draining, but still measures about 3 miles in circuit; and possesses none of the beauties which so richly characterize the neighbouring lakes, yet forms a good feature, from certain points of view, in a great landscape. The village stands adjacent to the lake, 3 miles W of Ambleside: and has a post office under Windermere.

Additional information about this locality is available for Langdale

Elterwater through time

Elterwater is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elterwater itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elterwater, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25378

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elterwater ".