Place:


Crosscrake  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crosscrake like this:

CROSSCRAKE, a chapelry, with a village, in Heversham parish, Westmoreland; adjacent to the Kendal canal, the river Ken, and the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 1½ mile SSW of Oxenholme r. station, and 3¼ S of Kendal. Post town, Stainton, under Milnthorpe. Rated property, £2, 178. Pop., 544. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £145.* Patron, the Vicar of Heversham. The church is tolerable.

Additional information about this locality is available for Heversham

Crosscrake through time

Crosscrake is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crosscrake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crosscrake, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25376

Date accessed: 08th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crosscrake ".