Place:


Ufton Nervet  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ufton Nervet like this:

UFTON, or U.-Nervet, a parish in Bradfield district, Berks; 2¼ miles E by N of Aldermaston r. station, and 8 WSW of Reading. Post town, Reading. Acres, 2,080-Real property, 2,414. Pop., 367. Houses, 71. The manor, with U. Court, belongs to R. Benyon, Esq. U. Court belonged once to the Perkinses; is described by Pope, in connexion with his "Belinda;" and is now divided into several habitations. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £426.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1862. There are an endowed school with £30 a year, two charities, and a fuel allotment £16.

Ufton Nervet through time

Ufton Nervet is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ufton Nervet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ufton Nervet in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2537

Date accessed: 01st August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ufton Nervet ".