Place:


Friarmere  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Friarmere like this:

FRIARMERE, a chapelry in Saddleworth township, Rochdale parish, and W. R. Yorkshire; at the backbone of England, contiguous to Lancashire, 1 mile N of Delph r. station, and 6½ SE of Rochdale. It was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Delph, under Manchester. Pop., 2, 979. Houses, 645. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Rochdale.

Additional information about this locality is available for Saddleworth

Friarmere through time

Friarmere is now part of Oldham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oldham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Friarmere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Friarmere, in Oldham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25364

Date accessed: 30th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Friarmere ".