Place:


Caerfagu  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caerfagu like this:

CAERFAGAN, a locality 6 miles ESE of Rhayader, in Radnor. It is traversed by a Roman road; and is supposed by many antiquaries to be the site of the Roman station Magos. Numerous Roman relics have been found in its neighbourhood.

It is unclear why both the Imperial and Bartholomew gazetteers name this place "Caerfagen", as Ordnance Survey maps always call it "Caerfagu". Lewis Davies' history, "Radnorshire", describes Caerfagu as "among the chief Radnor stations of the Roman era" (Cambridge UP, 1920, p.128). Additional information about this locality is available for Nantmel

Caerfagu through time

Caerfagu is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caerfagu itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caerfagu, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25306

Date accessed: 25th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caerfagu ".