Place:


Balscott  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Balscott like this:

BALSCOTT, a chapelry in Wroxton parish, Oxford; on the verge of the county, 4½ miles WNW of Banbury r. station. Post town, Wroxton under Banbury. Acres, 550 Pop., 211. Houses, 47. The name is a corruption of Beletscot; and was derived from Michael Belet, who founded Wroxton priory. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Wroxton, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is decorated English.

Additional information about this locality is available for Wroxton

Balscott through time

Balscott is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Balscott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balscott, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25287

Date accessed: 23rd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Balscott ".