Place:


Chowbent  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chowbent like this:

CHOWBENT, or Chewbent, a village in Atherton chapelry, Lancashire; with a railway station, 2¼ miles NNE of Leigh. It has a post office‡ under Manchester, and chapels for Episcopalians, Baptists, and Unitarians; and it carries on an extensive manufactory of nails.

Additional information about this locality is available for Atherton

Chowbent through time

Chowbent is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chowbent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chowbent, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25204

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chowbent ".