Place:


Charlestown  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlestown like this:

CHARLESTOWN, a chapelry in Eccles parish, Lancashire; adjacent to the Manchester and Preston railway, near the river Irwell, in the northern part of Salford, suburban to Manchester. Post Town, Manchester. Pop., about 5,000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester.

Additional information about this locality is available for Pendleton

Charlestown through time

Charlestown is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charlestown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlestown, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25201

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Charlestown".