Place:


Newburgh  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newburgh like this:

NEWBROUGH, or Newburgh, a hamlet-chapelry in Lathom parish, Lancashire; on the Southport and Manchester railway, adjacent to the Leeds and Liverpoolcanal, and near the river Douglas, 5 miles E N E of Ormskirk. It has a station, of the name of Newburgh, on the railway; and its post town is Ormskirk. Pop., about655. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £90. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is a neat building; and consists of a nave, with campanile.

Additional information about this locality is available for Lathom

Newburgh through time

Newburgh is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newburgh in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25119

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newburgh ".