Place:


Ireleth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ireleth like this:

IRELETH, a village and a chapelry in Dalton-in-Furness parish, Lancashire. The village stands at a st. of the Furness railway, on the E side of the Duddon sands, 2¾ miles N of Dalton; is a small sub port to Lancaster; and maintains communication across the sands at low water. The chapelry includes also the hamlets of Lindale and Marton; but does not appear to have definite limits. Post town, Dalton-in-Furness. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Dalton. The church stands on an eminence, overlooking the Duddon.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dalton in Furness

Ireleth through time

Ireleth is now part of Barrow in Furness district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barrow in Furness has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ireleth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ireleth, in Barrow in Furness and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25105

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ireleth ".