Place:


Great Boughton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Boughton like this:

BOUGHTON (Great), a township and a district in Cheshire. The township is in St. Oswald parish, and partly within Chester city; and lies on the Chester and Crewe railway, 1 mile E of Chester. Acres, 760. Real property, £5,458. Pop., 1,387. Houses, 281.—The district comprises Great Boughton poor-law union, and Chester city; the latter being regulated, in poor-law matters, by a local act. ...


It comprehends the subdistrict of Tattenhall, containing the parishes of Tattenhall, Handley, Waverton, Aldford, Harthill, Coddington. Farndon, and Tilston, the extra-parochial tracts of Willington and Kingsmarsh, and parts of the parishes of Malpas, Shocklach, Tarvin, and St. Oswald; the subdistrict of Hawarden, containing the parishes of Hawarden, electorally in Flint, Doddleston, partly in Flint, Pulford, and Eccleston, the extra-parochial tract of Shotwick-Park, and parts of the parishes of Shotwick and St. Mary-on-the-Hill; the subdistrict of Chester-Castle, containing the parishes of Barrow, Sulton-Guilden, Christleton, St. John Baptist, St. Olave, and St. Michael, the extra-parochial tracts of Claverton, Priors-Hay, Spittle-Boughton, and Chester Gaol and Barracks, and parts of the parishes of Tarvin, St. Oswald, and St. Mary-on-the-Hill; and the subdistrict of Chester-Cathedral, containing the parishes of Backford, Plemonstall, Thornton-le-Moors, Ince, St. Peter, St. Bridget, St. Martin, and Holy Trinity, the extra-parochial tracts of Stanlow, Little St. John, and Cathedral Precincts, and parts of the parishes of Stoke, Shotwick, St. Oswald, and St. Mary-on-the-Hill. Acres, 109,793. Poor-rates, including Chester, £23,104. Pop. in 1841, 49,097; in 1861, 58,501. Houses, 11,232. Marriages, 638; births, 1,674,-of which 141 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,238,-of which 376 were at ages under 5 years, and 30 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 5,423; births, 16,820; deaths, 12,374. The places of worship in 1851 were 47 of the Church of England, with 18,120 sittings; 1 of the Presbyterian church in England, with 50 s.; 6 of Independents, with 1,610 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 352 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 600 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 250 s.; 21 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2,746 s.; 12 of New Connexion Methodists, with 2,862 s.; 20 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,288 s.; 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 75 s.; 8 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 1,163 s.; 3 undefined, with 310 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 138 s.; and 1 of Latter-day Saints, with 250 attendants. The schools were 66 public day schools, with 5,208 scholars; 91 private day schools, with 2,148 s.; and 76 Sunday schools, with 5,928 s. The workhouse is in Holy Trinity parish.

Great Boughton through time

Great Boughton is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Boughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Boughton, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2507

Date accessed: 23rd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Boughton ".