Place:


Stevington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stevington like this:

STEVENTON, or Stevington, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 2 miles WNW of Oakley r. station, and 5 NW of Bedford. It has a postal pillar-box under Bedford. Acres, 1,950. Real property, £2,606. Pop., 606. Houses, 148. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £204.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is ancient. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a handsome school of 1863, and alms houses with £40 a year.

Stevington through time

Stevington is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stevington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stevington, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2506

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stevington ".