Place:


Stone  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stone like this:

STONE, a chapelry in Berkeley parish, Gloucester; 4 miles SW by S of Berkeley-Road r. station. It has a post-office under Berkeley. Real property, £2,192. Pop., 277. Houses, 62. The manor belongs to Lord Fitzhardinge. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Berkeley. The church is decorated English, and was recently repaired. Charities, £30.

Additional information about this locality is available for Berkeley

Stone through time

Stone is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stone, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25047

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stone ".