Place:


Purton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Purton like this:

PURTON, a hamlet in Berkeley parish, Gloucester; on the river Severn, opposite the Lydney Purton, 3 miles N by W of Berkeley. It has a post-office under Berkeley. There is a ferry over the Severn between the two Purtons.

Additional information about this locality is available for Berkeley

Purton through time

Purton is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Purton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Purton, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25044

Date accessed: 19th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Purton ".