Place:


Ushaw Moor  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ushaw Moor like this:

USHAW, a place, with a Roman Catholic college, in Esh chapelry, Durhamshire; 4 miles WNW of Durham. The college stands on a bleak hill; was founded in 1804, and opened in 1808; underwent extension in 1850 and following years; includes a fine chapel, opened in 1848; forms an open quadrangle, together with a long cloister and a seminary; and has commonly about 300 students, and about 100 boys.

Additional information about this locality is available for Broom

Ushaw Moor through time

Ushaw Moor is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ushaw Moor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ushaw Moor, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25019

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ushaw Moor ".