Place:


Cowgill  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowgill like this:

COWGILL, a chapelry in Sedbergh parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the boundary with Westmoreland, not far from the Midland railway, in the south-eastern vicinity of Sedbergh. It was constituted in 1838. Post town, Dent, under Kendal. Rated property, £1, 016. Pop., 330. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is tolerable.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dent

Cowgill through time

Cowgill is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowgill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowgill, in South Lakeland and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25002

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowgill ".