Place:


Morwellham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morwellham like this:

MORWELLHAM, a place, with an inn, on the W border of Devon; on the river Tamar, 4 miles SW of Tavistock. The Morwell Rocks, in the vicinity, are magnificent crags, rising to a great height, and crowned with shaggy pinnacles. Old Morwell House, near the S end of a tunnel of the Tavistock canal, is an ancient quadrangular building, in the pointed style; was once a huntingseat of the abbots of Tavistock; passed, with the abbey lands, at the dissolution, to the family of Russell; belongs now to the Duke of Bedford; was recently restored; and is used as a farm-house.

Additional information about this locality is available for Tavistock

Morwellham through time

Morwellham is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morwellham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morwellham in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24946

Date accessed: 24th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morwellham ".