Place:


Alney  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alney like this:

ALNEY (Isle of), an islet in the Severn, in the vicinity of Gloucester. Edmund Ironsides and Canute fought a single combat here in 1016; and proving equal in the strife, concluded a peace, and agreed to divide the kingdom between them.

Additional information about this locality is available for Maisemore

Alney through time

Alney is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alney, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24935

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alney ".