Place:


Kirkthwaite  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkthwaite like this:

KIRKTHWAITE, a chapelry in Sedbergh parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the Ingleton railway, the Sedbergh r. station, and the boundary with Westmoreland. It was constituted in 1865; and its post town, is Sedbergh, under Kendal. Pop., 450. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £31. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon.

The location is approximately at the midpoint of where the name "Kirkthwaite" appears on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 map of Yorkshire of 1852-3 (accessed via old-maps.co.uk). The size of the lettering indicates the name refers to a broad area, apparently the whole head of Dentdale and therefore to the area now referred to as Cowgill. English Heritage state thar St. John's Church, Cowgill, was originally called "Kirkthwaite Chapel" (http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1383834, accessed 8 Dec 2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Dent

Kirkthwaite through time

Kirkthwaite is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkthwaite itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkthwaite, in South Lakeland and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24834

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkthwaite ".