Place:


Arbury  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arbury like this:

ARBURY-HALL, the seat of the Newdegate family, in Chilvers-Coton parish, 3 miles SW of Nuneaton, Warwick. An Augustinian priory was built on its site in the time of Henry II.; given, in 1538, to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk; purchased, in the reign of Elizabeth, by Sir Edmund Anderson; and transferred, soon afterwards, in exchange for other property, to John Newdegate, Esq. ...


The priory was demolished, and a quadrangular mansion erected in its place, by Sir Edmund Anderson; and the mansion was transmuted into an elegant Gothic pile, of four fronts in different styles, by Sir Roger Newdegate, who founded the Newdegate prize poem, and died in 1806. The interior is splendid; and possesses, among other attractions, a very curious and interesting picture of the time of Henry VI., brought hither from Astley Castle. The park is extensive and richly ornate; and has been called the "Strawberry Hill of Warwickshire."

Additional information about this locality is available for Chilvers Coton

Arbury through time

Arbury is now part of Nuneaton and Bedworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Nuneaton and Bedworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arbury, in Nuneaton and Bedworth and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24806

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arbury ".