Place:


Whiston  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whiston like this:

WHISTON, a township, with two hamlets, in Kingsley parish, Stafford; 4 miles NE of Cheadle. It has a post-office under Stafford. Real property, £2,536; of which £141 are in ironworks. Pop., 708. Houses, 137. The manor has belonged since 1380 to the Giffards.

Additional information about this locality is available for Kingsley

Whiston through time

Whiston is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whiston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whiston in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24804

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whiston ".