Place:


Wellington  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wellington like this:

WELLINGTON, a chapelry in Stoke-upon-Trent parish, Stafford; near Stoke r. station. It was constituted in 1845; and its Post town is Stoke-upon-Trent. Pop., 5,555. Houses, 1,144. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £290.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is good; and there are dissenting chapels.

The location is that of St. Luke's church in Wellington Street, Hanley, as marked on modern street maps. Additional information about this locality is available for Hanley

Wellington through time

Wellington is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wellington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wellington, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24801

Date accessed: 10th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wellington ".