Place:


Burton Pynsent  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Pynsent like this:

BURTON-PYNSENT, a tything in Drayton, Curry-Rivell, and Fivehead parishes, Somerset; on the downs, 2 miles SW of Langport. Pop., 43. The estate belonged to the Pynsents; but was bequeathed to William Pitt, afterwards Earl of Chatham; and belongs now to Colonel Pinney. The Earl of Chatham occasionally resided here; and he erected a column 140 feet high, popularly called the Burton steeple, to the memory of Sir William Pynsent. This crowns an eminence, with a fine view; and a funeral urn, to his own memory, erected by his Countess, stands in the grounds of the mansion.

Additional information about this locality is available for Curry Rivel

Burton Pynsent through time

Burton Pynsent is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton Pynsent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Pynsent in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24781

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton Pynsent ".