Place:


Llandanwg  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandanwg like this:

LLANDANWG, a parish in Festiniog district, Merioneth; on the coast, at the mouth of the river Artro, and on the Barmouth and Carnarvon railway, 2 miles S of Harlech. It contains Harlech, which has a post office under Carnarvon, and which adjoins the Barmouth and Carnarvon railway which was in course of formation in 1866. ...


Acres, 4,964; of which 1,354 are water. Real property, £2,255. Pop., 739. Houses, 175. The property is subdivided. The surface is, for the most part, hilly, wild, and barren. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Llanbedr, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £194. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Tanwg; stands close to the shore; is early English, with some interesting interior features; and was recently in a ruinous condition, but could be restored at small cost. There is an endowed school, with £13 a year.

Llandanwg through time

Llandanwg is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llandanwg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandanwg, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2475

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llandanwg ".