Place:


Bardsea  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bardsea like this:

BARDSEA, a township-chapelry in Urswick parish, Lancashire; on Morecambe bay, 3 miles S by E of Ulverstone r. station. It has a post office under Ulverstone.Real property, £1,846. Pop., 272. Houses, 62. A hospital of the Knights of St. John once stood here. A project was at one time afoot to cut a ship canal hence to the foot of Windermere. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patron, the Rev. F. Lee. The church is modern Gothic. There is an endowed school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Urswick

Bardsea through time

Bardsea is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bardsea itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bardsea, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24749

Date accessed: 14th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bardsea ".