Place:


Werneth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Werneth like this:

WERNITH, a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; suburban, on the SW, to Oldham. It was constituted in 1844; and its Post town is Oldham. Pop., 5,888. Houses, 1,096. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1855; and is in the early English style, with tower and spire.

Additional information about this locality is available for Oldham

Werneth through time

Werneth is now part of Oldham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oldham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Werneth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Werneth, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24745

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Werneth ".