Place:


Glenridding  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glenridding like this:

GLENRIDDING, a mountain-vale, traversed by a rivulet, on the NW border of Westmoreland. The rivulet descends from Helvellyn; draws two head-streams from Red Tarn and Keppel-Cove Tarn; and runs 3½ miles eastward to Ulles water, about a mile NNW of Patter-dale Inn. The vale is overhung, on the S by Catche-decam, on the N, by Bleaberry-Fell and Stybarrow-Crag; and has, in a recess on its N side, the Greenside lead mines. Glenridding House, at its mouth, is the seat of the Rev. N. Askew.

Additional information about this locality is available for Patterdale

Glenridding through time

Glenridding is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glenridding itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glenridding, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24724

Date accessed: 06th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glenridding ".