Place:


Chesters  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chesters like this:

CHESTERS (East and West), two localities in Halt-whistle parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, the South Tyne river, and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, in the vicinity of Haltwhistle. They were the Roman Vindolana and Æsica.

Additional information about this locality is available for Humshaugh

Chesters through time

Chesters is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chesters itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chesters, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24717

Date accessed: 22nd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chesters ".