Place:


Church  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Church like this:

CHURCH, or Church-Kirk, a township-chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the East Lancashire railway, 1 mile NNW of Accrington. It has a post office †-under Accrington, and a r. station. Acres, 620. Real property, £13, 452; of which £2, 000 are in mines, and £659 in quarries. ...


Pop., 4, 753. Houses, 873. The property is much subdivided. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £650.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is good. St. Paul's is a new and separate charge. There are three Methodist chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and two national schools.

Church through time

Church is now part of Hyndburn district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hyndburn has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Church itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Church, in Hyndburn and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/247

Date accessed: 28th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Church ".