Place:


Portsmouth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Portsmouth like this:

PORTSMOUTH, a village in Cliviger township, Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Burnley and Todmorden railway, near the boundary with Yorkshire, 3 miles N W of Tormorden. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, several cotton mills, bobbin-works, brick-works, and quarries. Portsmouth House is the seat of J. Green, Esq.

Additional information about this locality is available for Todmorden

Portsmouth through time

Portsmouth is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portsmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portsmouth, in Calderdale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24681

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portsmouth ".