Place:


Langley and Swineshead  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langley and Swineshead like this:

LANGLEY and SWINESHEAD, a hundred in the SW of Gloucester; cut into two divisions, lower and upper. The l. div. contains Rockhampton parish, two other parishes, and parts of two others. Acres, 10,176. Pop. in 1851,3,384. Houses, 702. The u. div. con- [TEXT MISSING] other. Acres, 14,149. Pop. in 1851,14,664. Houses, 3,078. Pop. of both in 1861,18,350. Houses, 3,922.

Langley and Swineshead through time

Langley and Swineshead is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langley and Swineshead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langley and Swineshead in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24670

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langley and Swineshead ".