Place:


Conishead Priory  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Conishead Priory like this:

CONISHEAD PRIORY, or Coningshead, the seat of the Braddyll family, in Lancashire; on the W side of Morecambe bay, 2 miles SSE of Ulverstone. A priory of black canons was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by William de Lancaster, baron of Kendal; and went, after the dissolution, to the Braddylls. ...


The present mansion, on the site of the priory, was recently rebuilt, in room of a very fine previous one; is a magnificent edifice, in the pointed style, with an entrance hall 61 feet long, 23 wide, and 40 high, and cloisters and arched passages, 177 feet long, 19¼ wide, and 17¼ high; and Contains a rich variety of pictures and other works of art. The grounds around it include a conservatory, three gardens, a rural temple, and splendid terraces: and command brilliant and extensive views.

Conishead Priory through time

Conishead Priory is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Conishead Priory itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Conishead Priory, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24643

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Conishead Priory ".