Place:


North Foreland  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Foreland like this:

FORELAND (North), a headland on the NE coast of Kent; between the Thames mouth and the Downs, 2½ miles ESE of Margate. It is the Cantium of Ptolemy. A lighthouse, a timber structnre, was erected on it, in 1636, by Sir J. Meldrum; and was burnt in 1683. Another lighthouse, an octagonal two-story structure, was then erected, but had merely an open grate of blazing coals. ...


An improvement on the fire-beacon of that light-house, was made in 1732; and two brick stories, surmounted by a domed, copper-coated, decagonal lantern, were added to the structure itself in 1790. The light, as now shown, is a fixed one, with patent reflectors; stands at a height of 184 feet; and is visible at the Nore, and over a distance of 24 miles.

Additional information about this locality is available for St Peter

North Foreland through time

North Foreland is now part of Thanet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thanet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Foreland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Foreland, in Thanet and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24642

Date accessed: 24th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "North Foreland".