Place:


The Naze  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described The Naze like this:

NAZE (The), a headland in the E of Essex; 5 miles S of Harwich. A tower is on it; and a rocky ledge, 1½mile long, with from 2 to 5 feet water, is off it. The name is a corruption of "ness" or "nez, " a nose.

Additional information about this locality is available for Walton on the Naze

The Naze through time

The Naze is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about The Naze itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of The Naze, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24635

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " The Naze ".